The rise in industrial activities in timber, tourism, oiland mining since the 2000’s has further compounded the need for upgrade of all the public transport services including road, rail, air and water transports.
Opportunities exists for
- Private companies participation in adopting more modern practices and technologies to make the system more efficient through competitive bidding process for contracts set out by the ministry of Transport.
- Investment in inland port facilities including storage and warehouse space to accommodate cargo into the ports and major transit cities.
- For multi-national and cross-country trucking companies and other freight services to transport goods.
- Provision of efficient and effective mass transport facilities in all regions of Ghana.
- Necessary investment to restore the network, improve speed and axle load capacity and replace worn-out rolling stock
- Government privatization of the State-owned Ghana Railways Corporation (GRC) through concession and to provide much greater capacity for rail haulage of containers and petroleum products.
- Investment opportunity to link the suburbs of Accra to the central business area by rail and also links the north to the south to serve the landlocked countries north of Ghana
- Investment opportunity to develop the rail network more extensively to handle up to handle up to 60% of solid and liquid bulk cargo haulage between the ports and the interior and /or the landlocked neighbouring countries to the north of Ghana and elsewhere.